Whew, it’s going to be a HOT one the next couple of days!
McCall doesn’t normally get too many days in the upper 90’s, but when we do, HEAD FOR THE LAKE!
Here are “Julie’s Picks” for the weekend of Thursday, August 9th through Sunday, August 12th:
THURSDAY, AUGUST 9TH:
~~Live music at Mile High Marina, Mountain Fever, 6:00-9:00pm.
~~ Live music at Banyans on the Green at the McCall Golf Course… jazz music 6:00-9:00pm.
FRIDAY, AUGUST 10TH:
~~ Join the 3rd annual summer gathering to benefit Snowdon Wildlife Sanctuary hosted by Salmon River Brewery 3:00-7:00pm! Purchase a collectible beer glass for $15 and get your first beer free! Enjoy your beer and check out Snowdon’s educational booth featuring Merlin, Snowdon’s new live bird ambassador. Also on sale: Snowdon tees, hats, framed wildlife photos, and more! All proceeds benefit the rescue and care of orphaned and injured bear cubs and other wild animals.
~~Live music at Mile High Marina, Eric Stone 6:00-9:00pm.
~~ Live music at Broken Horn Brewing Co., Drifter Still, 6:00-9:00pm.
SATURDAY, AUGUST 11TH:
~~McCall’s Farmer’s Market 10:00am-2:00pm! (Also Wednesdays, 10:00am-2:00pm).
~~Live music at Mile High Marina, Eric Stone, 6:00-9:00pm.
~~Live music at Broken Horn Brewing Co., Old West Trio, 6:00-9:00pm.
SUNDAY, AUGUST 12TH:
~~Live music at Mile High Marina, Blake Olmstead, noon-3:00pm.
~~The 2018 Perseid meteor shower could be especially dazzling. Here’s how to watch the shooting stars and when, by David Freeman: “The most incredible meteor shower of the year is about to light up the night sky. The annual Perseid meteor shower is back, with the peak night for the shooting stars falling on this Sunday night and into the early hours of Monday.The Perseids are always popular with skywatchers, and this year’s show could be especially dazzling — in part, experts say, because the crescent moon will have set and there will be no moonlight to wash out the fainter meteors.”
MORE FUN IN THE LAKE AND SUN!
1. Get out on beautiful Payette Lake! Rent boats and SUPS from @MileHighMarina and rent SUPS and kayaks from Backwoods Adventures at North Beach. Or cruise the lake in style aboard “The Idaho” with McCall Lake Cruises. Their office is located at the entrance of the Yacht Club. Call (208) 634-5253 for their summer cruise schedule.
2. Jug Mountain Ranch is open for golf, dining, hiking and mountain bike riding! Call them for more details at (208) 634-5072. The McCall Golf Course is open for play and dining as well! Call them at (208) 634-7200 for tee times and dining hours.
3. For the active souls, hiking and biking is outstanding right now. Bear Basin, Ponderosa State Park, Jug Mountain Ranch, Brundage Mountain, Goose Creek Falls, Boulder/Louie Lake, and too many other locales to mention. Make sure to pick up your maps at the McCall Chamber Office!
4. Live Music: Typically at Crustys Pizza McCall, The Anchor, Broken Horn Brewing Company, The Yacht Club and Foresters. Check out their Facebook pages for times and dates.
5. Eats & Drinks: So many wonderful places to wine and dine in McCall. My go-to faves are Rupert’s Restaurant, The Sushi Bar McCall, Bistro 45, The Salmon River Brewery, Steamers Steak & Seafood Restaurant, Shore Lodge – McCall, Idaho, Ruby’s Kitchen, McCall Brewing Company, 2 Sisters Country Store in Lake Fork, the new Café 6three4, and of course Stacey Cakes!
6. Wine & Beer: Bistro 45 has a great “wine wall” and perfect courtyard to sip and savor or play a game or two of bocce ball, but also try Mountain Java for their cool wine collection and adorable outdoor wine bar.
7. Rent a bike at Gravity Sports, Hometown Sports, or try the zippy electric bicycles at Apex – electric bike rentals and sales in the Alpine Village McCall condo complex.
8. Visit MCPAWS Regional Animal Shelter and adopt a Furrever Friend!
9. Did someone say “Shopping?” There are so many fun shops in and around McCall. My faves? Razzle Dazzle, McCall Jewelry Company, Mountain Monkey Business, Gravity Sports, Hometown Sports!
Keep in mind these are just events that come up on my radar, and that I am interested in potentially attending. It is nowhere near an all-inclusive list of all things going on in McCall, but rather a glimpse of the myriad of things to see and do in our beautiful town.
Julie Conrad is an Idaho Native who spent much of her early life in McCall at her family’s cabin, and now calls McCall her full-time home. In 2012 Conrad created McCall Marketing Solutions because she enjoys promoting local small businesses and events. Among other volunteering endeavors, Conrad is a member of the MCPAWS and Kit Worthington Foundation for the Arts boards.
(Cover photo of Payette Lake by Julie Conrad.)