Happy First Day of Summer!
And come in like a lion she did! Even though Mother Nature isn’t quite cooperating just yet, the extended forecast is looking GREAT with temps near 80 by Monday, so get ready for a weekend of FUN in the SUN in McCall Town!
Here are “Julie’s Picks” for June 21st – 24th on this Summer Solstice Day:
Thursday, June 21st:
~~The McCall Chamber Business After Hours at Bistro 45, Hosted by St. Luke’s McCall! 5:00-7:00pm. This is an extra special event today as St. Luke’s will be honoring their nominees for their “Spirit of Giving Awards” in conjunction with the Business After Hours event. This award recognizes community members all throughout the West Central Mountains who embody the spirit of giving by donating their time and treasure, and for the sharing of their wisdom and experience. It is because of this astonishing degree of giving that our community is such a special place to live.
Friday, June 22nd:
~~”Fiesta Fridays at Veg’d Out!” Fiesta on Fridays with local, live music and food & drink specials at Veg’d Out every Friday, 4:00-7:00pm; $2 Beer and $2 Street Tacos.
~~Live Music with Mountain Fever at Mile High Marina 6:00-9:00pm.
Saturday, June 23rd:
~~The 9th Annual Taste of McCall at it’s new locale, Depot Park! Noon to 3:00pm. Fine food from local restaurants, beer and wine from local and Idaho wineries and breweries, silent auction, good friends, and a beautiful view of Payette Lake. Tickets at Mountain Monkey Business, Hotel McCall or Taste of McCall.
~~ McCall’s Farmers Market 10:00am-2:00pm! (Open every Wednesday and Saturday from 10:00am-2:00pm throughout the summer, above Depot Park.)
~~ McCall Arts and Humanities Council “Kaleidoscope” 10:00am-2:00pm on the lawn in front of the Central Idaho Historical Museum, corner of State St. and Hwy 55. FREE hands-on celebration of arts for children of all ages! The Kaleidoscope festival features a variety of hands-on and experiential booths and activity areas where children can “flex their imaginations,” including wood art, painting, costumes, cardboard castle, blacksmithing, knot art, yo-yos, dance, toddler booth, flowerpots, and so much more! Offered by the McCall Arts & Humanities Council and sponsored by the local business community. Rain or shine!
1. Get out on beautiful Payette Lake! Rent Boats and SUPS from Mile High Marina and rent SUPS and Kayaks from Backwoods Adventures at North Beach. Or cruise the lake in style aboard “The Idaho” with Mccall Lake Cruises; their office is located at the entrance of the Yacht Club. Call (208) 634-5253 for their summer cruise schedule
2. Jug Mountain Ranch is open for golf, dining, hiking and mountain bike riding! Call them for more details at (208) 634-5072. The McCall Golf Club is open for play and dining as well! Call them at (208) 634-7200 for tee times and dining hours.
3. For the active souls, hiking and biking is outstanding right now. Bear Basin, Ponderosa State Park, Jug Mountain Ranch, Brundage Mountain Resort, Goose Creek Falls, Boulder/Louie Lake (check for snow levels), and too many other locales to mention. Make sure to pick up your maps at the McCall Chamber office!
4. Live Music: Typically at Crusty’s Pizza McCall, The Anchor, Broken Horn Brewing Company, The Yacht Club and Foresters. Check out their Facebook pages for times and dates.
5. Eats & Drinks: So many wonderful places to wine and dine in McCall. My go-to faves are Rupert’s Restaurant, The Sushi Bar McCall, Bistro 45, The Salmon River Brewery, Steamers Steak & Seafood Restaurant, Shore Lodge – McCall, Idaho, Ruby’s Kitchen, McCall Brewing Company, 2 Sisters Country Store in Lake Fork, the new Cafe 6 three 4, and of course Stacey Cakes!
6. Wine & Beer: Bistro 45 has a great “wine wall” and perfect courtyard to sip and savor or play a game or two of bocce ball, but also try Mountain Java for their cool wine collection and adorable outdoor wine bar.
7. Rent a bike at Gravity Sports, Hometown Sports, or try the zippy electric bicycles at Apex – electric bike rentals and sales in the Alpine Village McCall condo Complex.
8. Visit MCPAWS Regional Animal Shelter and adopt a Furrever Friend! It’s kitten season!
9. Did someone say “Shopping?” There are so many fun shops in and around McCall….My faves? Razzle Dazzle, McCall Jewelry Company, Mountain Monkey Business, Gravity Sports, Gallery 55 McCall, and @HometownSports.
That’s all for now, but check back for updates.
(Keep in mind these are just events that come up on my radar, and that I am interested in potentially attending. It is nowhere near an all-inclusive list of all things going on in McCall, but rather a glimpse of the myriad of things to see and do in our beautiful town!)
Julie Conrad is an Idaho Native who spent much of her early life in McCall at her family’s cabin, and now calls McCall her full-time home. In 2012 Conrad created McCall Marketing Solutions because she enjoys promoting local small businesses and events. Among other volunteering endeavors, Conrad is a member of the MCPAWS and Kit Worthington Foundation for the Arts boards.[Cover photo by Julie Conrad.]